About this Job
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario.
With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government,
Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
- Microsoft Outlook
- Responsible for fuelling, inspecting fluid levels and cleaning of transit buses and other equipment.
- Varied shifts including days, evenings, overnight, weekends and holidays may be required
- Service buses in wash lane in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures at all times;
- Clean & sanitize the inside and outside of transit buses to pre-determined acceptable standards;
- Facilitate and conduct bus changes when required and directed;
- Light housekeeping duties including sweeping, garbage / recycling removal, snow removal and de-icing application; Start engines using booster if required;
- Assist mechanical staff when required;
- Work in a safe and efficient manner, reporting any deficiencies or unsafe conditions to your Supervisor;
- Follow the Occupational Health and Safety Act and City of Kingston policies.
- Use Microsoft Outlook and Kingnet for city communications and electronic training when required;
- Use Asset Works (Fleet Focus – M5) Fleet maintenance application for all required functions;
Complete all required duties and task checklists as directed;
Maintain a clean working area including general housekeeping and maintenance of the facility;
Other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications, Competencies
High School (Grade 12) diploma or equivalent;
- Possess and maintain a valid DZ License, with a satisfactory driver’s abstract;
- Two (2) years’ experience working with fleet vehicles (i.e. buses, dump trucks, plow equipment, refuse vehicles or loaders/excavators);
- Experience driving a large vehicle with air brakes preferred;
- Fuel Handling Certificate an asset;
- Must meet the requirements of “Competent Person” as defined in the Occupational Health & Safety Act;
- All shortlisted candidates must pass the written and pre-trip tests to move onto the interview stage;
- Skills, Abilities, Work Demands
- Must be able to work independently with limited supervision;
- Must be focused on meeting our customers’ expectations within tight timelines;
- Ability to interact with the public in a polite manner;
- Basic understanding of computer software is required;
- Ability to work in a team environment and use effective communication skills both verbal and written;
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather conditions and perform all duties in a safe and efficient manner when required;
- Able to perform the essential duties of the job including the physical requirements of standing for extended periods of time, repetitive bending, twisting, reaching squatting, stair climbing and lifting from floor to waist and waist to shoulder;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a satisfactory CPIC (Criminal Police Check) at candidate’s own expense.
Please apply to Career Opportunities at: www.cityofkingston.ca/Careers
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational Degrees, Diplomas and/or Certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to.
We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process.
Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.